Saturday, December 18, 2010

Can an expert be a master?

Can they ever be the same? Then how to separate them? 
Typical definition of these 2 words in English:
Expert :: A person with a high degree of skill in or knowledge of a certain subject.
Master :: One who has control over or ownership of something or some skill.
So, an 'expert' sounds like someone good at applying their skills on standard work. But may have a hard time working outside of the scope of what they know. 
On the other hand, a true master is not one who has mastered a skill, but rather one who has mastered the 'process of learning' about mastering that same skill.
In simple terms, the 'expert' just seems to know. 
The 'master' knows that there is much to learn and continually works on that task!
Looks like I have some clarity but might need to get it absolootely right before I move-on..

Stay with me patiently folks coz I am trying to get a clear understanding of these terms as a preface to a future rambling that I had to put on hold until I can get a clear idea of the distinction between an expert and a master!! (that was one big freakin sentence & I am slight-a proud of myself!)
It will help decide the fate of 2 eminent individuals who, based on how I understand the meaning of expertmaster could be considered guilty!! :-O (by me of-course)
So waiteese, and yes, patience is a virtue.. :P

No comments: